Hermetic Library Newsletter #85
When I figured that out is when I went a little wild
This week I mostly spent some extra effort to do more updates on the site than usual and the rest of the time I was working hard on the ongoing, necessary, but still annoying to do process of migration for a bunch of library stuff to the new server Beleth.
Also there’s AI generative art for the week using MidJourney, but I took an accidental, quota enforced break from Tarot and Goetia, and, instead, have experiments to show with the prompts “Magick Bell, Book, and Candle”, a couple more variations on Aleister Crowley’s LAM, and a less successful fugue on Hermetic Library’s Abraxas logo. That’s a lot, so I only share 4-up images here, and link to the threads on the library’s social if you want to see them all, individually posted (except the Abraxas ones which I didn’t post there at all).
By the by, as a reminder again, but with increasing urgency, these are the last few weeks before the Magick, Music and Ritual 17 deadline on September 30th. I’ve got covers, bonus downloads, and a few submissions. However, I don’t have enough submissions yet for a full release, so if you know anyone who would be interested in participating, let them know. If that’s you, get in touch soon!
Plus almanac, propaganda, an old meme, zine, updates, quotes, reviews, and more!
And, as always, I worked on various other things on website, blog, and more … Enjoy!
I knew it would happen eventually. I blew through my quota too quickly messing around and ended up without enough to do my usual experiments this week. My quota refreshes tomorrow, so I can continue where I left off with Tarot and Goetia, but I can show a few of my random experiments.
I’m going to something a little different this time. I’m going to show you the 4up images and link to the thread where I post them, instead of filling up this space with a ton of images. (Let me know if you prefer to see the images in the newsletter or this way of showing them together and linking to them?)
I posted some images I created with prompts around “Magick Bell, Book and Candle”.
But, I also discovered, I think I mentioned last week, that I could feed a starting image and have MidJourney riff on that, instead of starting from only text. When I figured that out is when I went a little wild and used up my quota …
This week I posted some more variations on Aleister Crowley’s LAM. All but one, which didn’t complete before I ran out of time, anyway.
And I also tried seeing what would happen if I started with the Hermetic Library’s Abraxas logo thingy I created. These didn’t really amount to much yet, and I didn’t post them. But, here they are, for the curious. I might try again with the image and add text, when I get a chance.
- Greater Feast of Dante Alighieri, died September 13/14, 1321 at Ravenna, Papal States
- Greater Feast of Leila Waddell, Leila Ida Nerissa Bathurst Waddell, died September 13, 1932 at Darling Point, Sydney
- Full Moon, September 9–10 (Harvest Moon, closest to September Equinox)
- Jupiter left of Moon, September 10
- Jupiter just above Moon, September 11
- Mars rising before midnight, left of Moon, September 16
- Neptune at Opposition, September 16 (closest to Earth and fully illuminated)
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 9, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 65
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 10, (Silence)
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 11, Mars, Liber VII, Cap. I, 1-7
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 12, Mars, Liber VII, Cap. I, 8-16
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 13, Mars, Liber VII, Cap. I, 17-24
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 14, Mars, Liber VII, Cap. I, 25-32
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 15, Mars, Liber VII, Cap. I, 33-40
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 16, Mars, Liber VII, Cap. I, 41-48
Grima Wormtongue, bad take apologist, says: “I think it is important that we understand the context in which those comments were given …”
- Ever empty, Always full, Abyss IS from The Headflux Chronicles, Book 1, by Will Lorimer
- Untitled by John Griogair Bell
- The Pot by SD Master
Things to check out at Hermetic Library
- In Hermeneuticon, I added entries for the A∴A∴ grades Philosophus, Practicus, Zelator, Neophyte, and Probationer. I updated the entry for the grade Adeptus Minor, and also added more images to LAM.
- I added the next 5 tales to Tiny Tales from the Sufis: The Beggar and the King, Majnun and the Tree, Majnun’s Blood, Majnun among the Beggars, and Majnun’s Feet.
- I added the next 5 tales to Tiny Tales of Nasruddin: Nasruddin the Optimist, Nasruddin Is Perplexed, Nasruddin’s Buried Treasure, Different People, Different Paths, and Nasruddin and the Eagle.
- I added new tales from Jürgen Hubert for this month: The Devil as Colorful Ribbon and The Possessed People at Spandau.
- I updated images and alt text on the Unicursal MY LIFE WITH THE FILL KILL KULT Propaganda page.
And on the blog
- Pygmy—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews Pygmy [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Chuck Palahniuk.
- All that we are from mind results, on mind is founded, built of mind. Who acts or speaks with righteous thought, him happiness doth surely find.—Dhammapada, trans Aleister Crowley, quoted in Oracles [Blog]
- Omnium Gatherum: 7sep2022—First OG of the month, so this one is available to all Patrons! An irregular hodgepodge of links beyond the library curated together from @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and more. Until this post becomes public in a year, to view this content on the blog, you must be a member of Hermetic Library’s Patreon. However, you can follow the raw feed (drink directly from the firehose!) by heading to @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and participate with likes, boosts, and comments to help curate the best stuff for everyone!
- The Adventures of Jules de Grandin—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews The Adventures of Jules de Grandin [Amazon, Local Library] by Seabury Quinn, introduction by Lin Carter. (See instead: The Complete Tales of Jules de Grandin series.)
- Bless us, O Morning Star, and these thy gifts which we are about to receive from thy bounty. To the ruler of demons, our Lord. Amen.—Daria Polatin, The Devil in Ohio, s01e01, “Broken Fall” [Blog]
- Call for submissions, September 2022: Anthology deadline this month, Zine, Calendar, and more!
- An Oath to Mida—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews An Oath to Mida [Amazon, Local Library] by Sharon Green, book 2 in the Jalav/Amazon Warrior series.
- Evil does not sleep, Elrond. It waits. And in the moment of our complacency, it blinds us.—John D Payne and Patrick McKay, The Rings of Power, s01e01, “A Shadow of the Past” [Blog]
Archiving, Engaging and Encouraging the living Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism, Aleister Crowley's Thelema, & much more. Open Access Occultism for over 25 years.
Become an ongoing supporter of my work as a Patron or Subscriber. This newsletter contains affiliate links to some of the things I talk about and if you click them I might make a tiny amount of money. Or, if you’ve something else in mind, get in touch!
Hermetic Library, PO Box 368, Moberly, MO 65720, USA