Hermetic Library Newsletter #83
It’s 666 doing a headstand
This week there’s a bunch of new “explaining things” memes that I posted over on the library’s social account. The girl shouting at guy at festival showed up online recently as a new image for the overall genre, and I played around with it; and settled on trying out quotes from Nuit. Well, of course, once that happened I realized I also had to do a whole series with the other two books from Liber Legis. I mean … it had to be done. But, I’ll tell you what: it was had to decide what quote to use. I went through a lot before deciding on these for the first round. Should I do more?! (Yeah, that’s kinda like someone asking if they should recite more limericks … Sorry, not sorry?)
Also, I reached 999 posts on the library’s social account in the ‘verse. Heh. It’s 666 doing a headstand!
There’s four posts on the zine blog this week! I was planning on posting on Wednesday but somehow missed it, so I decided to post two things on Thursday.
Also there’s AI generative art for the week using MidJourney for the prompts “Lust/Strength tarot card by Philip Kirkland” and the description of Sitri from Goetia.
Plus almanac, propaganda, new and old memes, zine, updates, quotes, reviews, and more!
And, as always, I worked on various other things on website, blog, and more … Enjoy!
Girl shouting at guy at festival: “Sing the rapturous love-song unto me! Burn to me perfumes! Wear to me jewels! Drink to me, for I love you! I love you!“—Nuit
John Silver explaining to Anna Jay: “I am the flame that burns in every heart of man, and in the core of every star. I am Life, and the giver of Life, yet therefore is the knowledge of me the knowledge of death.“—Hadit
Guy shouting at uncomfortable nightclub girl: “Now let it be first understood that I am a god of War and of Vengeance. I shall deal hardly with them.“—Ra-Hoor-Khuit
Peter: צ is not the Star.
(12.) Sitri. – The Twelfth Spirit is Sitri. He is a Great Prince and appeareth at first with a Leopard’s head and the Wings of a Gryphon, but after the command of the Master of the Exorcism he putteth on Human shape, and that very beautiful. He enflameth men with Women’s love, and Women with Men’s love; and causeth them also to show themselves naked if it be desired. He governeth 60 Legions of Spirits. His Seal is this, to be worn as a Lamen before thee, etc.
Then I tried creating “Lust/Strength tarot card by Philip Kirkland”.
Philip Kirkland is someone you may not have heard of before. Check out these articles with some images: “An artist's interpretation of a teenager's head exploding in science class” and “The Masks of Time”.
In 2011, Kirkland was in his 80s, so I'm not sure I managed to avoid (sort of) imitating a living artist this time, as I've been trying to do.
For funsies, I also created a new profile banner for this newsletter’s social account @List.
Here’s upcoming calendar and astronomical events, plus the daily Thelemic Tephilah practice for the coming week, August 26–September 2.
- T Polyphilus lists a date for a Feast of Krishna on August 26 on his Liturgical Calendar
- Greater Feast of Alessandro di Cagliostro, Giuseppe Balsamo, Joseph Balsamo, died August 26, 1795 at San Leo, Italy
- Greater Feast of Gene Wilder, died August 29, 2016 at Stamford, Connecticut
- Greater Feast of Ulrich von Hutten, died August 29, 1523 at Ufenau, Switzerland
- New moon, August 27
- Mercury greatest elongation from Sun, August 27 (good time to see the planet, above the western horizon in the evening just after sunset)
- First quarter moon, September 3
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 26, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 34-36
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 27, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 37-40
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 28, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 41-42
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 29, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 43-44
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 30, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 45
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 31, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 46-47
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 1, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 48-49
- Thelemic Tephilah, September 2, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 50
It’s 666 doing a headstand.
- Untitled by John Griogair Bell
- The Father, The Son, and BABALON! by Whiskey Stevens
- Everything is connected by Ashley Costello
- Blessing for Dog Food by T.A.L. de Sacks
Things to check out at Hermetic Library
And on the blog
- A.D.D.: Adolescent Demo Division—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews A.D.D.: Adolescent Demo Division [Amazon, Publisher, Local Library] by Douglas Rushkoff with Goran Sudzuka and José Marzán Jr.
- The difficulty with joy is that it lies in the slippage between metaphysics and normativity.—Andrew Culp, Dark Deleuze [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Omnium Gatherum: 24aug2022—An irregular hodgepodge of links beyond the library curated together from @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and more. Until this post becomes public in a year, to view this content on the blog, you must be a member of Hermetic Library’s Patreon. However, you can follow the raw feed (drink directly from the firehose!) by heading to @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and participate with likes, boosts, and comments to help curate the best stuff for everyone!
- The Best Ghost Stories of H Russell Wakefield—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews The Best Ghost Stories of H. Russell Wakefield [Amazon, Local Library] by H Russell Wakefield, ed Richard Dalby.
- I am the aspiration unto the higher; I am the love of the unknown. I am the blind ache within the heart of man. I am the minister of the sacrament of pain. I swing the censer of worship, and I sprinkle the waters of purification. I am the daughter of the house of the invisible. I am the Priestess of the Silver Star.—Aleister Crowley, The Cry of the 19th Aethyr, Which is Called POP, The Vision and The Voice [Blog]
- The Sandman: Overture—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews The Sandman: Overture [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Neil Gaiman, J H Williams III, and Dave Stewart, with Todd Klein and Dave McKean.
- Something struggled into the light. Will felt the presence of it before he could see it. He felt an answer to the long ache.—Nathan Ballingrud, The Visible Filth [Amazon, Amazon (Collected), Bookshop (Collected), Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Anthology news, August 26 [Followers/Bandcamp]
Archiving, Engaging and Encouraging the living Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism, Aleister Crowley's Thelema, & much more. Open Access Occultism for over 25 years.
Become an ongoing supporter of my work as a Patron or Subscriber. This newsletter contains affiliate links to some of the things I talk about and if you click them I might make a tiny amount of money. Or, if you’ve something else in mind, get in touch!
Hermetic Library, PO Box 368, Moberly, MO 65720, USA