Hermetic Library Newsletter #80
everyone take a moment to send extra good thoughts her way
On August 7 will be astronomical Lughnasadh, Lammas; or, happy whichever late harvest festival you celebrate this week as Sun is 15° Leo at 12:36 UTC. This week, along with a lot of other things that day, there’s also First Night of the Prophet and his Bride on August 12.
I welcomed Phineas Narco’s The National Cynical Network as a new content partner for RADIO @ HRMTC! There were two, two! (ah ha ha!) new zine posts this week!
On a personal note, my mom (hi, mom!) recently had an accident and broke her arm. So, I ask that everyone take a moment to send extra good thoughts her way as she recovers.
Also there’s AI generative art for the week using MidJourney for the prompts “Adjustment tarot card by Sascha Schneider” and the description of Paimon from Goetia.
Plus almanac, a meme, open submissions, propaganda, zine, updates, quotes, reviews, and more!
And, as always, I worked on various other things on website, blog, and more … Enjoy!
The National Cynical Network
This week I welcomed Phineas Narco’s The National Cynical Network as a new content partner for RADIO @ HRMTC. Currently there is one album, The Scientology Remix Project, added into general rotation on MUSIC RADIO @ HRMTC. I’ll add additional albums and things over time, maybe across stations since there’s a podcast as well as albums? We’ll see!
(9) Paimon.-The Ninth Spirit in this Order is Paimon, a Great King, and very obedient unto Lucifer. He appeareth in the form of a Man sitting upon a Dromedary with a Crown most glorious upon his head. There goeth before him also an Host of Spirits, like Men with Trumpets and well sounding Cymbals, and all other sorts of Musical Instruments. He hath a great Voice, and roareth at his first coming, and his speech is such that the Magician cannot well understand unless he can compel him. This Spirit can teach all Arts and Sciences, and other secret things. He can discover unto thee what the Earth is, and what holdeth it up in the Waters; and what Mind is, and where it is; or any other thing thou mayest desire to know. He giveth Dignity, and confirmeth the same. He bindeth or maketh any man subject unto the Magician if he so desire it. He giveth good Familiars, and such as can teach all Arts. He is to be observed towards the West. He is of the Order of Dominations.1) He hath under him 200 Legions of Spirits, and part of them are of the Order of Angels, and the other part of Potentates. Now if thou callest this Spirit Paimon alone, thou must make him some offering; and there will attend him two Kings called Labal and Abali, and also other Spirits who be of the Order of Potentates in his Host, and 25 Legions. And those Spirits which be subject unto them are not always with them unless the Magician do compel them. His Character is this which must be worn as a Lamen before thee, etc.
And then I asked for “Adjustment tarot card by Sascha Schnieder”. I don’t feel like these really present Schnieder’s style very well, but it’s what I got!
Then, when I was done, I created a new entry for Paimon and added the new images to the existing entry for Adjustment in Hermeneuticon.
Here’s upcoming calendar and astronomical events, plus the daily Thelemic Tephilah practice for the coming week, August 5–August 12.
- T Polyphilus lists a date for a Feast of Tahuti on August 6 on his Liturgical Calendar
- Ritual of Lughnasadh, Lammas, Astronomical, Sol in 15° Leo, circa August 7
- Greater Feast of Franz Hartmann, died August 7, 1912 at Kempten, Germany
- Edain McCoy, born August 11, 1957 at South Bend, Indiana
- Feast for the First Night of the Prophet and his Bride, August 12
- T Polyphilus lists a date for a Feast of Heracles, August 12 on his Liturgical Calendar
- Greater Feast of William Blake, died August 12, 1827 at Westminster, United Kingdom
- Greater Feast of Isaac Bonewits, died August 12, 2010 at Clarkstown, New York
- First quarter moon, August 5
- Sun is 15° Leo on August 7 at 12:36 UTC
- Full moon, August 11 (Supermoon)
- Perseids Meteor Shower maximum, August 12–13
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 5, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 57-58
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 6, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 59-60
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 7, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 61
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 8, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 62-63
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 9, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 64-65
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 10, (Silence)
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 11, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 1-2
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 12, Spirit, Liber LXV, Cap. V, 3-4
Things to check out at Hermetic Library
- I’ve created an entry for Paimon and added images for that and the previously existing Adjustment in Hermeneuticon.
- I’ve added the newly translated tale The Howling Mother from Jürgen Hubert. Turns out I’ve now looped all the way around and have the older tales all added now.
- Updated the downloadable images for the Unicursal MATHEMATICAL REALITY MAGICAL Propaganda.
And on the blog
- July 2021—After a year of being exclusive to Patrons, I have made all curated Omnium Gatherum posts on the blog from July 2021 public. Head over and check those out, and remind yourself about everything else I posted that month!
- Emerging from scholars concerned with the condition of the present, the darkness refashions a revolutionary Deleuze: revolutionary negativity in a world characterized by compulsory happiness, decentralized control, and overexposure.—Andrew Culp, Dark Deleuze [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Lives of the Great Occultists—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews Lives of the Great Occultists [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Kevin Jackson, illo Hunt Emerson.
- Omnium Gatherum: 3aug2022—First OG of the month, so this is available immediately to all Patrons! An irregular hodgepodge of links beyond the library curated together from @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and more. Until this post becomes public in a year, to view this content on the blog, you must be a member of Hermetic Library’s Patreon. However, you can follow the raw feed (drink directly from the firehose!) by heading to @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and participate with likes, boosts, and comments to help curate the best stuff for everyone!
- Call for submissions, August 2022: Anthology, Zine, and Calendar—Here’s a quick reminder about all current open calls for submissions for you to check out.
- Even those dreadful periods of “dryness” and of despair seem but the necessary lying fallow of the Earth. All those “false paths” of Magic and Meditation and of Reason were not false paths, but steps upon the true Path; even as a tree must shoot downwards its roots into the Earth in order that it may flower, and bring forth fruit in its season.—Aleister Crowley, John St. John, Prologue [Blog]
- The Memory Theater—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews The Memory Theater [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Karin Tidbeck.
- Anthology news, August 4 [Bandcamp/Followers]
Submissions open this month
Since it’s the first newsletter of the month, I wanted especially to remind everyone here about all the various calls for submissions that are open right now.
- Call for submissions to Magick, Music, and Ritual for 2022 (Not just music! I’m still looking for cover artwork for this year. Also, things people want to send in for bonus digital downloads.)
- Got something for the Hermetic Library Zine? Send something!
- Got a current or upcoming event to share with others for the Hermetic Library Calendar? Add something!
And, although I haven’t been mentioning this much, I do also want to highlight that I’d love to talk with anyone interested in submitting material to MUSIC or TALK for general rotation, listening parties, podcast archiving, or soever else we can cook up. I’m also able to help people do recorded and live audio shows and events on either RADIO @ HRMTC station, and would be excited to talk about that as well. So, if you’ve got audio content you’ve created or are creating and are willing and able to share, get in touch! (I mean, even if it is video, we could still figure something out … just sayin’)
And, you know, as always, if there’s something else you’ve got in mind that I don’t mention, get in touch and we can talk!
Archiving, Engaging and Encouraging the living Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism, Aleister Crowley's Thelema, & much more. Open Access Occultism for over 25 years.
Become an ongoing supporter of my work as a Patron or Subscriber. This newsletter contains affiliate links to some of the things I talk about and if you click them I might make a tiny amount of money. Or, if you’ve something else in mind, get in touch!
Hermetic Library, PO Box 368, Moberly, MO 65720, USA