Hermetic Library Newsletter #79
Er, wait. Hold on. No I didn’t. Okay. Now I did.
On August 1 will be observed Lughnasadh, Lammas; or, happy whichever late harvest festival you celebrate around this time of year. Of course, there’s also astronomical Sun at 15° Leo on August 7, next week, at 12:36 UTC, so I’ll mention it again then. But, either and whichever way, hope you’re doing something fun or at least marking these moments in the passage of time some way.
This week I added the next chapters to two of Franz Hartmann’s books, did some work on the social bots, and there’s also the first post to the Zine blog!
Also there’s AI generative art for the week using MidJourney for the prompts “The Chariot tarot card by Steffi Grant” and “… by Jean-Michel Basquiat” and the description of Barbatos from Goetia.
Plus almanac, new and old memes, propaganda, zine, updates, quotes, reviews, and more!
And, as always, I worked on various other things on website, blog, and more … Enjoy!
(8.) Barbatos.—The Eighth Spirit is Barbatos. He is a Great Duke, and appeareth when the Sun is in Sagittary, with four noble Kings and their companies of great troops. He giveth understanding of the singing of Birds, and of the Voices of other creatures, such as the barking of Dogs. He breaketh the Hidden Treasures open that have been laid by the Enchantments of Magicians. He is of the Order of Virtues, of which some part he retaineth still; and he knoweth all things Past, and to come, and conciliateth Friends and those that be in Power. He ruleth over 30 Legions of Spirits. His Seal of Obedience is this, the which wear before thee as aforesaid.
And then I asked for “The Chariot tarot card by Steffi Grant”. Hey, I knew that was probably a long shot, but I shot it. What came out seems specifically a miss on matching style, but some were generally interesting I guess.
They've “upgraded” their engine. Also, maybe even more so than before, the tool seems to want to put the named artist or someone into the art, instead of doing the style of the artist. 🤷
Well, I thought I’d try a different artist, so I also ran with “The Chariot tarot card by Jean-Michel Basquiat” and here’s a couple it came up with. I think these definitely got the style but still trying to put a person in instead of making a tarot card. Well, it is an experiment, after all! Here’s the closest couple of results I got.
After that, I created entries in Hermeneuticon for them too. Er, wait. Hold on. No I didn’t.
Okay. Now I did.
Here’s upcoming calendar and astronomical events, plus the daily Thelemic Tephilah practice for the coming week, July 29–August 5.
- Greater Feast of Paschal Beverly Randolph, died July 29, 1875 at Toledo, Ohio
- Greater Feast of William Wynn Westcott, Sapere Aude, died July 30, 1925 at Durban, South Africa
- Ritual of Lughnasadh, Lammas, August 1
- Feast of the Lion-Serpent, Sol in the Succedent Decan of Leo, circa August 1
- Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower, July 28–29
- Alpha Capricornids Meteor Shower, July 30–31
- “Ghost of Summer Dawn” with Orion returning in the early mornings beginning July 31
- First quarter moon, August 5
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 29: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 45
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 30: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 46-47
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 31: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 48-49
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 1, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 50
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 2, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 51
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 3, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 52-53
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 4, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 54-56
- Thelemic Tephilah, August 5, Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 57-58
- Everything is connected by Ashley Costello
Things to check out at Hermetic Library
- I’ve added Barbatos and The Chariot entries to Hermeneuticon.
- I’ve added Among the “Adepts” to In the Pronaos of the Temple of Wisdom and The Refectory to With the Adepts by Franz Hartmann. Yeah, that’s amusing that the one chapter is so similar to the title of the other.
- I updated the images for the Village MAKE EVERY KIND OF MISTAKE Propaganda.
And on the blog
- There is more truth in happiness than in despair.—Edward De Bono, H+ A New Religion? How to Live Your Life Positively [Amazon, Local Library] [Blog]
- Omnium Gatherum: 27jul2022—An irregular hodgepodge of links beyond the library curated together from @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and more. Until this post becomes public in a year, to view this content on the blog, you must be a member of Hermetic Library’s Patreon. However, you can follow the raw feed (drink directly from the firehose!) by heading to @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and participate with likes, boosts, and comments to help curate the best stuff for everyone!
- The Sexual History of London—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus Reviews The Sexual History of London: From Roman Londinium to the Swinging City—Lust, Vice, and Desire Across the Ages [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Catharine Arnold.
- Mail call 25jul2022—Let’s open this package that’s arrived from the Netherlands at the Reading Room!
- Still, it was the library of his dreams. Wesley imagined an ancient time, centuries ago, long before the building became Astoria’s library, when armies from around the world took turns storming the gate, each determined to obtain the treasures hidden within. It was that kind of place. It stirred something inside of him.—Eric Hobbs, The Librarian, Book One: Little Boy Lost [Amazon, Local Library] [Blog]
- Karma-Yoga and Bhakti-Yoga—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews Karma-Yoga and Bhakti-Yoga [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Hermetic Library Figure Swami Vivekananda.
- Truth is an unbearable thing. And its timing is bad.—Anne Carson and Euripides, Bakkhai [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Seven Demons—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews Seven Demons [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Aidan Truhen.
- I updated the Thelemic Tephilah and Calendar social bots with information about events for September. Slowly working through ‘em!
Archiving, Engaging and Encouraging the living Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism, Aleister Crowley's Thelema, & much more. Open Access Occultism for over 25 years.
Become an ongoing supporter of my work as a Patron or Subscriber. This newsletter contains affiliate links to some of the things I talk about and if you click them I might make a tiny amount of money. Or, if you’ve something else in mind, get in touch!
Hermetic Library, PO Box 368, Moberly, MO 65720, USA