Hermetic Library Newsletter #78
A bunch of memes in a trenchcoat
This week I am nothing more than a bunch of memes in a trenchcoat. I have no idea how that happened. But, that’s apparently mostly what I’ve got for you. I’m embarrassed enough for both of us.
Also there’s AI generative art for the week using MidJourney for the prompts “The Lovers tarot card by H R Giger” and the description of Amon from Goetia.
Plus almanac, memes, zine, updates, quotes, reviews, and more!
And, as always, I worked on various other things on website, blog, and more … Enjoy!
(7.) Amon.—The Seventh Spirit is Amon. He is a Marquis great in power, and most stern. He appeareth like a Wolf with a Serpent’s tail, vomiting out of his mouth flames of fire; but at the command of the Magician he putteth on the shape of a Man with Dog’s teeth beset in a head like a Raven; or else like a Man with a Raven’s head (simply). He telleth all things Past and to Come. He procureth feuds and reconcileth controversies between friends. He governeth 40 Legions of Spirits. His Seal is this which is to be worn as aforesaid, etc.
And then I asked for “The Lovers tarot card by H R Giger”.
After that, I created entries in Hermeneuticon for them too.
Here’s upcoming calendar and astronomical events, plus the daily Thelemic Tephilah practice for the coming week, July 22–July 29.
- Greater Feast of Moina Mathers, Mina Bergson, Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum, died July 25, 1928 at London, United Kingdom
- Greater Feast of Paschal Beverly Randolph, died July 29, 1875 at Toledo, Ohio
- New moon, July 28
- Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower, July 28–29
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 22: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 25
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 23: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 26-27
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 24: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 28-29
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 25: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 30-33
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 26: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 34-37
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 27: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 38-41
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 28: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 42-44
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 29: Fire, Liber LXV, Cap. IV, 45
Things to check out at Hermetic Library
And on the blog
- Father, interrupted Manfred, I pay due reverence to your holy profession; but I am sovereign here, and will allow no meddling priest to interfere in the affairs of my domestic. If you have aught to say, attend me to my chamber – I do not use to let my Wife be acquainted with the secret affairs of my state; they are not within a woman’s province. My lord; said the holy man, I am no intruder into the secrets of families. My office is to promote peace, to heal divisions, to preach repentance, and teach mankind to curb their headstrong passions.—Horace Walpole, The Castle of Otranto [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Omnium Gatherum: 20jul2022—An irregular hodgepodge of links beyond the library curated together from @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and more. Until this post becomes public in a year, to view this content on the blog, you must be a member of Hermetic Library’s Patreon. However, you can follow the raw feed (drink directly from the firehose!) by heading to @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and participate with likes, boosts, and comments to help curate the best stuff for everyone!
- The Past is Red—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews The Past is Red [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Catherynne M Valente.
- This truth—about sensibility, about sex, about individual personality, about despair, about limits—can be shared when it projects itself into art.—Georges Bataille, Story of the Eye [Amazon, Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Quote]
- Opposing the System—Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews Opposing the System [Amazon, Local Library] by Charles A Reich.
- More personal than any article of clothing. More private than any diary. Every page stained with a sorcerer’s hidden character, their private demons, their wildest ambitions. Some magicians produce collections, others produce only a single book, but nearly all of them produce something before they die.—Scott Lynch, In the Stacks [Amazon, Local Library] [Blog]
- Anthology news, July 21 [Bandcamp/Followers]
Archiving, Engaging and Encouraging the living Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism, Aleister Crowley's Thelema, & much more. Open Access Occultism for over 25 years.
Become an ongoing supporter of my work as a Patron or Subscriber. This newsletter contains affiliate links to some of the things I talk about and if you click them I might make a tiny amount of money. Or, if you’ve something else in mind, get in touch!
Hermetic Library, PO Box 368, Moberly, MO 65720, USA