Hermetic Library Newsletter #75
I fucked around and found out … again
This week I had to redo work on the site from last week because I restored from backup, and lost a few days. I just had to go and mess around with something that didn’t work. Literally, I fucked around and found out … again. Yeah, that does happen sometimes. But, after restoring from backup, I redid the lost work and some more.
Earth is at aphelion this week, which would have been an issue of the Zine, if I’d gotten enough submissions, but, as you know from last week, I’ve introduced a new zine blog and social account, along with a new submissions process. So, you know, the zine is dead, long live the zine? Well, it’s in Schrödinger’s box, neither alive nor dead; but also both … for now. Will there be submissions to make it alive when the box is opened? We’ll see!
Also there’s AI generative art for the week using MidJourney for the prompts “The Empress tarot card by Austin Osman Spare” and the description of Samigina from Goetia.
Plus there’s some meme hot takes on “we will adopt your baby” I posted this week to the library’s social account, as well as almanac, zine, updates, quotes, reviews, and more!
And, as always, I worked on various other things on website, blog, and more … Enjoy!
(4.) Samigina, or Gamigin. – The Fourth Spirit is Samigina, a Great Marquis. He appeareth in the form of a little Horse or Ass, and then into Human shape doth he change himself at the request of the Master. He speaketh with a hoarse voice. He ruleth over 30 Legions of Inferiors. He teaches all Liberal Sciences, and giveth account of Dead Souls that died in sin. And his Seal is this, which is to be worn before the Magician when he is Invocator, etc.
And, I asked for “The Empress tarot card by Austin Osman Spare” which turned out more like “Austin Osman Spare as The Empress” but after last week’s hint of Spare’s style mixed in, I had to try. Maybe it kinda works, in a way?
And, when I finished those, I created entries in Hermeneuticon for them too.
Here’s upcoming calendar and astronomical events, plus the daily Thelemic Tephilah practice for the coming week, July 1–July 8.
- Check out all the upcoming dates on the Hermetic Library calendar for July that may be of interest to you!
- Greater Feast of Swami Vivekananda, died July 4, 1902 at Belur, India
- Earth aphelion, July 4
- First quarter moon, July 6
Follow Thelemic Tephilah on the web, rss, and in the ‘verse.
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 1: Water, Liber LXV, Cap. III, 47-48
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 2: Water, Liber LXV, Cap. III, 49-50
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 3: Water, Liber LXV, Cap. III, 51-52
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 4: Water, Liber LXV, Cap. III, 53-54
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 5: Water, Liber LXV, Cap. III, 55-56
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 6: Water, Liber LXV, Cap. III, 57-59
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 7: Water, Liber LXV, Cap. III, 60-61
- Thelemic Tephilah, July 8: Water, Liber LXV, Cap. III, 62-63
Things to check out at Hermetic Library
- I worked on restoring the work I did last week to Thomas Taylor’s The Mystical Initiations; or, Hymns of Orpheus, adding To Musæus, including that monstrous footnote, and To the Goddess Prothyræa. I also added some missing Greek back to the title page. Then I also added To Night and To Heaven.
- I added Hermeneuticon pages for Samigina and The Empress. I also added an entry for Ulrich von Hutten.
And on the blog
- After a year of being exclusive to Patrons, I have made all curated Omnium Gatherum posts on the blog public. Head over and check those out, and remind yourself about everything else I posted back in June 2021!
- Call for submissions, July 2022: Anthology, Zine, and Calendar—Here’s a quick reminder about all current open calls for submissions for you to check out.
- Oh God, there’s something in my mind, thinking for me. How long has it been here, twisting me around?—David Brookshaw, “The King is Dead”, The God-Machine Anthology [Amazon, DriveThruFiction] [Blog]
- Omnium Gatherum: 29jun2022—An irregular hodgepodge of links beyond the library curated together from @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and more. Until this post becomes public in a year, to view this content on the blog, you must be a member of Hermetic Library’s Patreon. However, you can follow the raw feed (drink directly from the firehose!) by heading to @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and participate with likes, boosts, and comments to help curate the best stuff for everyone!
- Hermetic Library Anthology Fellow T Polyphilus reviews Galactic Empires: Volume One [Amazon, Local Library] ed Brian W Aldiss. [Blog]
- So much of the internet is garbage, and much of its infrastructure and many work hours are devoted to taking out the garbage. For the most part, this labor is hidden from plain sight. But in recent years, the garbage disposal has broken down.—Sarah Jeong, The Internet Of Garbage [Amazon, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews The Myth of Sacred Prostitution in Antiquity [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Stephanie Lynn Budin. [Blog]
- “Should I do what is necessary?” To my surprise, Julian took both Henry’s hands in his own. “You should only, ever, do what is necessary,” he said.—Donna Tartt, The Secret History [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews Dark and Magical Places: The Neuroscience of Navigation [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Christopher Kemp. [Blog]
Archiving, Engaging and Encouraging the living Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism, Aleister Crowley's Thelema, & much more. Open Access Occultism for over 25 years.
Become an ongoing supporter of my work as a Patron or Subscriber. This newsletter contains affiliate links to some of the things I talk about and if you click them I might make a tiny amount of money. Or, if you’ve something else in mind, get in touch!
Hermetic Library, PO Box 368, Moberly, MO 65720, USA