Hermetic Library Newsletter #68
Y'all do y'all, just as long as y'all honor your agreements with y'all self!
This week there’s The Soldier or the Humpback, and, I ask, “porque no los dos‽” Plus #OccultLoveFest, Hrmtc I∴O∴, and In the ‘verse.
Plus there’s almanac, propaganda, updates, quotes, reviews, and more!
And, as always, I worked on various other things on website, blog, and more … Enjoy!
The Soldier or the Humpback?
Okay, that’s pretty definitive. Only there was just 1 person that voted. 1 of 1 vote for polyamory‽ But a polycule of 1 vote seems contrary … even if truth is truth.
Lilith Saintcrow confessed to the deed: “…it was me, that was my vote”. And when called out for being the only vote added “I contain multitudes! And we’re all married!” Welp. Y'all do y'all, just as long as y'all honor your agreements with y'all self!
Hey, either way, I got a chance to all at once make an esoteric joke, a polyamory joke, and use an interrobang. (They walked into a bar…) At the end of the day, I’m okay.
Yeah, I know this got mostly crickets on big social. But I never learn. I tried it again in the ‘verse and … got much the same response. There was @firstname.lastname@example.org/108286571556515199">one! So, I might, maybe, think about doing it again once a month. Just trying to help “find the others”, as Leary said.
In addition to keep up my existing efforts, I’ve added new accounts the Hrmtc I∴O∴.
I also automated those along with the previously existing
You can follow all these (and the others!) now in the ‘verse, add them to your RSS reader, or just check them out on the web, and you’ll get all the variety of updates on offer. The account for Music Radio is the most active, with a new post every song change, but if you want a calmer thing to follow for general updates look to Radio. Calendar will post something for every event in the Hermetic Library event calendar, when there is something. Thelemic Tephilah posts a reminder for each recommended reading through the year, so follow that for a daily practice!
I’ve also created an account where I can do my geeky nerd stuff, and follow those things. It’s not, strictly speaking, library related, but if you’re into it, it is there too. Come join me, and let’s cross the streams! Otherwise, feel free to ignore it, of course.
Same as before, you can follow, or not, all these directly on the web or via RSS or from your own account somewhere in the ‘verse, as you like.
Remember, following library accounts from other servers means that everyone else on that server will probably see library posts in their federated feed, so even just following along from somewhere different can actual help, even if you don’t interact with them at all!
In the old days, before the before, there used to be entire websites that were directories. These had links to other sites. This was before we had search engines! So, we went to these directories to find things in various categories. (Check out this archive of the old DMOZ directory for an idea of what that was like. Hermetic Library used to be listed in a lot of places, but it looks like someone nefarious managed to scrub most of those before the archive was made, I guess.) Anyhow, I mention this because there’s apparently a general discoverability problem in the ‘verse, so some people have started to create directories to help. Eventually we might end up with decent search and support in the various existing search engines (for example, searching Google for the keywords “hermetic library mastodon” right now isn’t really super helpful, but there are some links at least!). But, I’ve taken a little time to get a few of the library’s accounts on Hrmtc I∴O∴ listed, for example, I’m all four results that currently show up for the Magick category, as well as several of the others I list myself in. I also list myself in some more common, mainstream categories too, so I went for a mix. It’s a start. Hopefully it will help, maybe, even if just one person finds the library, but possibly more. And, others might decide to list themselves in there too.
In the ‘verse
By the by, I want to welcome Bkwyrm of Bkwyrm’s Occult Book Reviews to Hrmtc I∴O∴! I was able to help Bkwyrm get started in the ‘verse, and could offer an invite to the Hermetic Library instance because of the ongoing support of generous Patrons and Subscribers. So, thank you to each of them for making that possible!
Also, the first, that I know of, Anthology Artist in the ‘verse is Johann Heyss (also see their Anthology profile) and the first Fellow, that I know of, in the ‘verse is Jürgen Hubert (check out all the German Folklore Translation).
I’ll keep looking for any other Fellows and Artists that show up. I have a small number of invitations, like only 1 or 2 left until I can afford to upgrade resources for more. (I’m basically at the limit now, for what I’ve got, with all I’m doing on the thing.) I can offer some help getting started, even if not on the library’s instance, and will offer that where and when I can.
And, remember, following from other instances, especially ones where no one else is following yet, is actually a good thing! That means the posts of the accounts you follow get federated to whatever instance you’re on. So, follow all the things, everywhere!
Meanwhile, maybe give our mascot Behemoth a nice belly rub for good luck and success in this ongoing social endeavour?
Here’s upcoming calendar and astronomical events, plus the daily Thelemic Tephilah practice for the coming week, May 13–20.
Follow Calendar on the web, rss, and in the ‘verse.
- Greater Feast of Barbara Marx Hubbard, died May 15, 2019 at Loveland, Colorado
- Greater Feast of Elias Ashmole, died May 18, 1692 at London, England
- Greater Feast of Arthur Edward Waite, died May 19, 1942 at London, United Kingdom
- Full moon, May 15
- Total lunar eclipse, May 15-16; see May 15–16, 2022 Total Lunar Eclipse (Blood Moon)
Follow Thelemic Tephilah on the web, rss, and in the ‘verse.
- Thelemic Tephilah, May 13: Air, Liber LXV, Cap. II, 7
- Thelemic Tephilah, May 14: Air, Liber LXV, Cap. II, 8-9
- Thelemic Tephilah, May 15: Air, Liber LXV, Cap. II, 10-11
- Thelemic Tephilah, May 16: Air, Liber LXV, Cap. II, 12-13
- Thelemic Tephilah, May 17: Air, Liber LXV, Cap. II, 14-16
- Thelemic Tephilah, May 18: Air, Liber LXV, Cap. II, 17-19
- Thelemic Tephilah, May 19: Air, Liber LXV, Cap. II, 20-22
- Thelemic Tephilah, May 20: Air, Liber LXV, Cap. II, 23-26
Things to check out at Hermetic Library
- Added 5 more tales to Tiny Tales from the Sufis: Jesus and the Name of God, Jesus and the Fool, Jesus Went Walking, The Dreams of the Three Travelers, and The Sufi Who Went to Heaven.
- Added 5 more tales to Tiny Tales of Nasruddin: Nasruddin and the Sacks of Wheat, Nasruddin Visits the Prisoners, The Beggar and The Food Vendor, Biting Your Own Ear, and Nasruddin and the Case of the Cow.
- Added an entry in Hermeneuticon for Dion Fortune, and added her Lesser and Greater Feasts to the calendar. (I could have sworn I’d already added her to at least the calendar, but apparently not? Okay. Now I did. And more!)
- Added a Figures section for Dion Fortune, where I’ve started to add content beginning with the title page and foreword to The Machinery of the Mind (1922). I’ll add more of that in particular and in general as much public domain content as I can over time, and links to find other things where I can’t, as I do.
- Updated images and things for the Unicursal LEPROUS GOD Propaganda from Hermetic Library Office of the Ministry of Information.
- Updated images and things for the Unicursal LET THE FLAG OF FREEDOM FLY Propaganda from Hermetic Library Office of the Ministry of Information.
And on the blog
- there’s a worm of truth at the heart of every fictional apple—Charles Stross, The Atrocity Archives [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Will there be a day when someone discovers the secrets of these supernatural events, that reflection of the shadow of the soul that manifests itself between awakening and sleep, in a state of purgatory and unconsciousness?—Sadegh Hedayat, trans Naveed Noori, The Blind Owl [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- Omnium Gatherum: 11may2022—An irregular hodgepodge of links beyond the library curated together from @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and more. Until this post becomes public in a year, to view this content on the blog, you must be a member of Hermetic Library’s Patreon. However, you can follow the raw feed (drink directly from the firehose!) by heading to @OmniumGatherum at Hrmtc I∴O∴ and participate with likes, boosts, and comments to help curate the best stuff for everyone!
- “Will you tell the truth now? About Me. My Work. My Becoming. My Art, Mr. Lounds. Is this Art?” “Art.”—Thomas Harris, Red Dragon [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] [Blog]
- should I now be entering these other realms, these secret twilight places, which may have hidden dangers?—Parker Gordon, Parallel Lives [Amazon] [Blog]
- Hermetic Library Fellow T Polyphilus reviews The Dreaming City [Amazon, Bookshop, Publisher, Local Library] by Julien Blondel, Jean-Luc Cano, and Julien Telo, foreword by Jean-Pierre Dionnet, vol 4 of the Elric series. [Blog]
- Radio at Hrmtc I∴O∴ is new and automated!
- Music Radio at Hrmtc I∴O∴ is new and automated!
- Talk Radio at Hrmtc I∴O∴ is new and automated!
- Thelemic Tephilah at Hrmtc I∴O∴ is new and automated!
- Calendar at Hrmtc I∴O∴ is automated!
- Rigaroga at Hrmtc I∴O∴ (a place for mostly non-library geeky nerd stuff)
- Anthology news, May 13 [Bandcamp/Followers]
This is like following on big social media, but better for everyone. Free weekly newsletter filled with Hermetic Library related stuff!
Archiving, Engaging and Encouraging the living Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism, Aleister Crowley's Thelema, & much more. Open Access Occultism for over 25 years.
Become an ongoing supporter of my work as a Patron or Subscriber. This newsletter contains affiliate links to some of the things I talk about and if you click them I might make a tiny amount of money. Or, if you’ve something else in mind, get in touch!
Hermetic Library, PO Box 368, Moberly, MO 65720, USA